Engineering Manager - Tijuana
|Location:||San Diego, CA|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
The Engineering Manager manages, directs, coaches and supports engineering professionals and other development team members in the acts of planning, overseeing, and executing projects associated with medical device product development and manufacturing. They will also identify, develop and guide performance of team members in order to build and maintain a highly cohesive team. The Engineering Manager will also plan, oversee and execute projects of his/her own. They will be the primary communication contact with partners in order to effectively meet project milestones, budgets and achieve high partner satisfaction. This role may span several engineering disciplines, including electronics, mechanical design, development, manufacturing and contract manufacturing.
- Provide Leadership - Demonstrates leadership through development and mentoring of staff, responsiveness to business needs and motivation of diverse, cross-functional teams, including influencing both internal and external members to achieve positive business results. Includes planning and executing projects from concept through the launch and initial production ramp-up. Support and/or lead product changes after launch based on defined needs of the business. Guides and mentors team members in the utilization of project management and engineering fundamentals. Directs, manages and supervises the manufacturing engineering operations. May manage areas of engineering including design, packaging, testing and production.
- Decision Making - Drive technical decision making, including oversight of processes, ensuring all tests are administered in adherence to established quality or performance metrics, investigation of problems with machinery, and suggesting and implementing solutions. Develops and implements policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department. Analyzes technology, resource needs and market demand to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Project Management - Coordinates and directs projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directs the integration of technical activities.
- Organize - Leads aspects of project management including scope definition, scheduling, budgeting, and contingency planning.
- Intellectual Property - Executes patent searches to understand current state of the art. Contributes to business through innovation and patent filing.
- Supervisory Responsibility - Provides mentorship, guidance and leadership in the Engineering Department. Responsible for direct reports and accomplishing work through outside resources (i.e., consultants, contractors, design suppliers). Responsible for managing the activities of direct reports and ensuring the organization's abilities continue to improve through individual development and organizational capabilities. Leads staff performance management activities to improve capabilities and skills using regular objective setting and review process, performing appraisals and coaching of individuals on development plans.
- Design - Works closely with designers and developers to achieve effective design. Sets technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time; both domestic and International travel may be required.
Typical work related travel assignments range 2-5 days, and as such overnight, out-of-town stays are required.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
- Required - Equivalent of 6 years related work experience. Must include Manufacturing and New Product Development experience.
- Required - Must have experience with Mexican manufacturing operation in defined free trade zone (Maquiladora).
- Required - Minimum of 1 year leadership responsibility.
- Preferred - Medical device experience.
- Preferred - Experience or certification in project management.
- Preferred - Experience with process excellence or a process excellence certification such as Green/Black Belt.
- Preferred - Experience in Lean Manufacturing
Required - Bachelor degree (BS) in technical engineering (i.e., mechanical, biomedical, electrical), or related field, with mechanical emphasis.
Preferred - Advanced Degree in field is desirable but not required.
General Skills/Competencies/Specialized Knowledge
- Communication - Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Time Management - Has ability to make and hold commitments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Has the ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequent priority shifts.
- Collaborative - Demonstrated ability to work and excel in a team-based environment.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Relates well to all kinds of people. Interfaces effectively with project teams, suppliers, all levels of management and physicians/customers from outside of the organization.
- Organized and Resourceful - Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload.
- Energizing/Motivating - Able to create positive energy (motivation) in both individuals and groups
- Learning Agile - expected to develop an expert knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various anatomies and pathologies.
Mechanical Design - Expertise regarding mechanical processes and capabilities that impact design.
- Manufacturing - Demonstrated ability to leverage the manufacturing process and material knowledge in engineering designs
- Design Control - Knowledge in the application of design controls and development processes.
- Assembly Process Risk Assessment - Understanding of Risk Assessment activities and risk mitigation techniques.
- Assembly Process Validation - Understanding of requirements and procedures for process risk assessment and validation
- CAD - Skilled in Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools (e.g., Solidworks).
- PC - Skilled using Microsoft Office Applications.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.